Thursday, October 9, 2008

Reviving the forgotten

The word prompt is defined as: "to move to action, to assist by suggesting or saying the next words of something forgotten or imperfectly learned." I find this Merriam Webster definition to be extremely relevant to the context within the poetry prompts. These are in fact exercises used to revive images stored in the memory, in order to complete a work. I have three prompts I found listed below:

Poetry Prompt - List ten items that you would buy at an auction, or tag sale. Write a poem including those items. You may choose to title your poem, "Things Found At An Auction". Variation, have someone else create a list for you.
-By tossing in the list of objects, one is able to draw upon past relations to the items. I really enjoy the idea of having another individual come up with the objects, it makes the exercise become organic and less biased.


Poetry Prompt - Write three shaped-verse poems. Shaped-verse poems are a form of "pattern poetry", where the letters, words, and lines of the poem are arranged to form a picture/outline of the subject of the poem. An example is a poem in the shape of a Christmas tree discussing your thoughts about Christmas itself, family traditions, and so on.
-I remember writing one of these in the third grade, I'm pretty sure my image formed a pidgeon of some sort. I like the idea though, linking words through visuals...

Prose Prompt - Writing the known and the unknown. Close your eyes, let a landscape appear. Allow yourself to view the landscape, taking note of texture and mood. Next, pretend that you have a rose petal in your hand. Feel it between your fingers and give it color and scent. Allow yourself time to make it a realistic experience. Now go back to creating your landscape, again focusing on details and texture. Continue writing about your landscape.

-This really draws upon the unconscious, I like! This is where the good stuff lies. I'm definetely going to try this one out. I also enjoy the shift from the landscape to a small unit of weight (rose petal), and back to the larger mass we know as earth.

By tuning into our emotions, words will spew out of the mind. Our images will translate so well, and these promps will make them even better. It surprises me that most humans have blocked off this ability. Prompts can help get us there. Amen to that.

No comments: